Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Background to my running life

I have not always been a runner.  In fact for most of my life I thought runners had a screw lose as I could not imagine why anyone would CHOSE to spend hours running up and down the road, let alone up and down mountains.  That is not to say I was not active, I just chose to get my exercise by playing basketball or soccer or skiing, running just was not something I had any interest in doing.

This all changed after a visit with my Orthopedic surgeon, who informed me that if I kept up activities that included sudden change in lateral direction (basketball, soccer, skiing) I would soon end up with knee and hip replacements.  He suggested swimming, I don't swim...only sink, so not an option.

In 2008 I started running.  First attempt lasted less then 2 miles, and I did not try again for weeks.  After about 3 months I ran my first 5K, it took me almost 40 minutes, with a lot of walking involved. Over the next year I was very hit and miss and then it clicked, I can do this.  I can run without stopping and without walking for more then 3 miles.  In the spring of 2009 I ran my first 10K a few months latter, after moving to Florida I ran my second.  In both races my 15 year old son ran with me...or I should say he ran with me for about 100 yards, then waited for 20 minutes for me at the finish...
Me and my boy!

In 2010 we moved to Salt Lake City and I discovered altitude, that really sucked...For the first year I ran only on the roads and only where it was flat (think Florida...) In 2011 I tried my first trail run, a 10 mile run through Corner Canyon in the southeast end of the Salt Lake Valley.  WOW, that was rough, but I finished.  Later that year I ran my first half marathon, the Utah County Half and I thought, okay been there, done that I am good.  Two years later I ran my first Marathon, then did 4 more that same year.  Hooked, committed, I am A Runner!
1st Marathon, I'm not dead yet!
Most recent Marathon...getting easier

During this time I was traveling around the world for work and realized that the best way to see the local area was from street level, so I Ran Where I was At.  London, Paris, Sao Paulo, Berlin, Florence, Beijing, Tokyo, Singapore, Perth, Melbourne, New Delhi, Bangalore, St Petersburg and more.  I would run around monuments and through neighborhoods.  I would see local sites that most would simply skip by in a taxi or on a train.

I found myself packing less work clothes so I would have more room for my running gear.  I found myself reaching out to message boards and running sites to get suggestions on where to run.

I realized that running in St Petersburg, Russia at night is spectacular as the city is lit up with light.

St Isacc's Cathedral

The grounds of the Versailles Palace outside of Paris are sublime and the perfect place for a quick 6 mile afternoon run.
Versailles Palace

Running in Bangalore and New Delhi, India I would run past modern Western style buildings or Embassy's and on the next block a shantytown built of cardboard and plastic tarps, while dodging wild dogs, goats and the occasional cow.


One day in Perth Australia I came around a corner and ended up face to face with a bunch of Kangaroos.  WAY COOL!!!
Running with Kangaroo's!

Now, 6 years after that first 2 mile run (where I walked half) I can look at a 20 mile Saturday morning run as a good end to the week.  Ultras are on the Calendar and through running along the trails and hills of Utah I have been blessed to meet the most incredible and welcoming group of people imaginable.  They encourage and inspire me to move forward and to always apply the philosophy of Relentless Forward Progress.  So, whether you are young or old, slow or fast always remember to Run Where You are At!!!
Pacing for the Wasatch 100

My favorite Race EVER! (Son, Dad, Me)

No comments:

Post a Comment